Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 5 Average
Hello and my new Magnum
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
RE: Hello and my new Magnum
And yet another!? Tongue

[Image: 15375929_medium.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2012, 07:30 PM
My saga may be very close to over,I bought this car sight unseen from a Mustang restorer in central Wisconsin and was assured this car was fantastic!! Everything was working including the drop down headlamp doors and road worthy! After I paid in full I asked the guy let me know if anything needs attention because I was thinking of a 1000+ road trip to drive it back. He told me the fan clutch had some play and everything else good, so I made a deal to replace it along with all belts, oil change and fuel filter and I was assured this car was ready to go!!
I find a flight to Chicago one way for under $100 and attend the Muscle car and Corvette Nationals and then my first and last Greyhound bus trip for $59 to a stop just 1/2 hour from my Magnum. The satellite bus stop just 1/2 mile from hotel was a short cab ride and of course the taxi driver almost got lost - good thing I looked on google maps in the hotel the night before. The station was remote with no facility or even a bench in a rather seedy area, as I got there an hour early and stood there for 45 mins in below freezing temps with a large wad of cash and laptop hoping I was not robbed! The Greyhound finally showed up and we were off to Milwaukee to change buses, to a Jefferson Bus lines wreck and we are off, almost! The tranny seems to be holding back shifting and he limps onto the highway and we make several stops and in Green Bay he had to shut off the bus to let a wheel chair off and the bus will not go in drive after, seems he was using the park brake and leaving it in gear! Great stuck in Green Bay!! After an hour it goes in gear and he admits he knew the tranny was bad, but took the bus anyway! So we get to my destination later than expected and I originally tried to plan getting to the hotel before dark. After a brief preflight check and purchase of some fuel and oil additives,fluids I fill the tank and I am off! I find no headlamp door motor or drive rod and I asked him about it he said you pull the bolt out and the doors open?!?The car is all over the road,darkness hits like a rock and I realize no lights except headlamps! I had to stop and find some fuses and luckily it was a fuse, no cigar lighter so no xm radio which I brought. I get to the hotel and do another check, no license lamp, was unplugged, cleaned carb and realize an original space saver spare and no jack! I roll the dice for another day and in Auburn Indiana I find a tire shop near my AM museum stop and score a used tire and we put it on the lift to see why the torsion bars were cranked up, like driving up hill and i find it has air shocks that were empty, so we put about 25lbs in and crank down the bars. The guy finds the pitman arm wiped out and I guess when he yanked on it it became even worse, could not find one and did buy a scissor jack and off again! I stopped at the Studebaker museum, Cord Auburn Dusenburg and many others including the Packard museum on the trip. I knew rain was coming that day and visions of getting stuck with no spare and jack in the heavy rain! Driving the car on the grooved interstate with the bad pitman arm in the heavy rain was quite a chore! An adventure to be sure, but I made it with just a few other little fixes on the way. This is a list of what needed attention and was missing on the car after i got it home to evaluate=
wiped out pitman arm,upper ball joints shot, right outer tie rod end loose, inner front brake pads gone and sticking calipers, rear sway bar links shot, all interior lamps bulbs missing along with lens, thermoguard with washer bottle and battery hold down gone - windshield cowl plastic screens missing, left firewall to fender strut missing, left hood slider block missing, no jack, no horn pad was shorting out so he unplugged it, cigar lighter plug shot, the drivers wiper arm in wrong position, heat would not shut off, the guy popped the lever over the stops so it never closed the valve and the cable broke because it could not move the lever! It is clear the car was hit left front, but nothing major.Multiple dash bulbs either out, no bulbs or in wrong place, door pins switches unplugged, cat converter gone and home made dual exhaust which had a plug welded on y pipe and glass packs welded in home made dual exhaust. I have replaced will missing parts and repaired all that needed a fix. Was it worth it, YEAH! It was an adventure and I bonded with the car, heck she got me home in one piece almost 1250 miles I shot over a 1000 photos and visited a bunch of museums and I have driven the car to few over night weekend shows - but I would be cautious of driving a car back so far again, NAH I will do it again, just before that I drove one back from Michigan in the winter! I guess we do get crazy over our cars, especially Magnums!
06-17-2012, 03:34 AM
(XE) RE: Hello and my new Magnum
(06-16-2012 07:30 PM)SUPERMAG Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.I have replaced all missing parts and repaired all that needed a fix. Was it worth it, YEAH! It was an adventure and I bonded with the car, heck she got me home in one piece almost 1250 miles I shot over a 1000 photos and visited a bunch of museums and I have driven the car to few over night weekend shows - but I would be cautious of driving a car back so far again, NAH I will do it again, just before that I drove one back from Michigan in the winter! I guess we do get crazy over our cars, especially Magnums!

Sounds like you had quite the adventure!? Makes my purchase trip home
tame? My only problem was fuel, I had to use an electric fuel pump from
two 5gal tanks to get home. Bypassed the whole stock fuel system.
So did you call the seller to chew him out? Magnum looks good! Keep us
updated.

Late B body score!
[Image: 38880604043_medium.jpg]

Latest project:
[Image: Magnum_GT_signature_2.jpg]

Please Register or Login to view links.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2012, 05:35 AM
wow that was rough
took me forever to drive mine home ' laughing
got it from the neighbor down the street

Late B body score!
[Image: 38880604027_large.jpg]
[Image: 38880604027_large.jpg]
only two Magnum GTs so far and counting!
07-07-2013, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 09:44 AM by SUPERMAG.)
at it again I am trying to add photos so this is a test
(07-07-2013 09:37 AM)SUPERMAG Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.at it again I am trying to add photos so this is a test
its the size issue again, can someone remind me how to change the size?
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 03:08 PM by SUPERMAG.)

(07-07-2013 09:37 AM)SUPERMAG Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.at it again I am trying to add photos so this is a test

(07-07-2013 02:47 PM)SUPERMAG Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.

OK I THINK THE PHOTOS ARE IN?    
Original plan was a "what if" Super Bee, but i decided "what if" Dodge continued with the Daytona edition so I came up with a Daytona Magnum GTGTB. The plan was stay with a 1978 theme and those wheels Superior Magnus came out in 78, I always wanted them back then so I found a set polished and refinished myself. The center caps are modified S10 Chevy truck. my first aftermarket tires were Mickey Thompson's so its a tribute to him. I have been down south checking out the 70's NASCAR'S in museums and decided on a Daytona NASCAR theme with a tribute to my hero Richard Petty who campaigned a 78 Magnum and its the only car he never won a race in Sad ! I added Cordoba window louvers and had GT decals made in Matt Black and modified them a little. Could not wait for the elusive Magnum Force rear spoiler so I modified a Volare spoiler and the front spoiler is a Chevy Cavalier radiator air deflector. Rear window blow out straps, windshield safety retainers,fuel tank vents and hood/trunk pins are all clever tricks using stainless,brass, plastic, billet aluminum with nothing actually permanently in place. The only holes drilled were four for the rear spoiler. Cool

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-07-2013, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 04:12 PM by MAGNUM GT XS22L9R.)
I like it, the rear spoiler looks like the one I made for my White GT back in the day.
[Image: 38205880001_medium.jpg]

You can just kinda make it out? Laugh Cool

Did you get your stripe kit from Phoenix Graphix?

You didn't go for the big wing? Laugh Tongue
[Image: Daytona_Magnum_-_02.JPG]

[Image: Daytona_Magnum_-_01.JPG]

Anyway, Welcome back!

I just reduced my huge inventory of Magnum parts on eBag. Confused

Late B body score!
[Image: 38880604043_medium.jpg]

Latest project:
[Image: Magnum_GT_signature_2.jpg]

Please Register or Login to view links.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2013, 05:55 PM
(07-07-2013 04:10 PM)MAGNUM GT XS22L9R Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.I like it, the rear spoiler looks like the one I made for my White GT back in the day.
[Image: 38205880001_medium.jpg]

You can just kinda make it out? Laugh Cool

Did you get your stripe kit from Phoenix Graphix?

You didn't go for the big wing? Laugh Tongue
[Image: Daytona_Magnum_-_02.JPG]

[Image: Daytona_Magnum_-_01.JPG]

Anyway, Welcome back!

I just reduced my huge inventory of Magnum parts on eBag. Confused
Yeah Phoenix Graphics, yup I thought about the big wing or a smaller version, but 76/77 Charger Daytona was wingless. Also this simple center section section fell closer to what a 78 NASCAR might have. Always wondered about that white car with the ground effects!
07-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Original plan was a "what if" Super Bee, but i decided "what if" Dodge continued with the Daytona edition so I came up with a Daytona Magnum GTGTB. The plan was stay with a 1978 theme and those wheels Superior Magnus came out in 78, I always wanted them back then so I found a set polished and refinished myself. The center caps are modified S10 Chevy truck. my first aftermarket tires were Mickey Thompson's so its a tribute to him. I have been down south checking out the 70's NASCAR'S in museums and decided on a Daytona NASCAR theme with a tribute to my hero Richard Petty who campaigned a 78 Magnum and its the only car he never won a race in Sad ! I added Cordoba window louvers and had GT decals made in Matt Black and modified them a little. Could not wait for the elusive Magnum Force rear spoiler so I modified a Volare spoiler and the front spoiler is a Chevy Cavalier radiator air deflector. Rear window blow out straps, windshield safety retainers,fuel tank vents and hood/trunk pins are all clever tricks using stainless,brass, plastic, billet aluminum with nothing actually permanently in place. The only holes drilled were four for the rear spoiler. Cool

the car looks good

78 magnum xe
78 magnum
89 cherokee
98 neon
98 dakota sport
99 300m
99 avenger es
01 ram 1500
01 intrepid
07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
(07-08-2013 09:27 PM)poor white boy Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.

the car looks good
Just back from Carlisle and of all things sitting there and starring at me is a fiberglass repop of the Magnum Force rear spoiler, very rough pieces and yes by forgotten B-body rules I had to grab it!! Cool