Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What Dad thought......
01-07-2015, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 09:20 AM by Mopar408.)
What Dad thought......
As I reflect on and celebrate my Dad's 75th B-Day today, I thought of a few of my car related stories that got some reaction from him, and thought I would share.

The first was when I actually built my slant 6 motor - yes the one I destroyed Smile. The part I left out of that story was the build story. When I actually built the motor I decided to pull the motor and build it while my parents went away on vacation. I figured that it was perfect....I could work on my car and use my Dad's car to go to work. Great plan, just never shared it with the folks. Well on day 2 of their vacation, they called home. My grandmother, who lived with us at the time, came out in the garage and told me my folks were on the phone. Apparently, in an effort to assure my folks that everything was ok, she mentioned I was out working on the car. Well, dear old Dad wanted to chat and find out what was wrong. I mentioned that I had decided to execute my plan and the motor was already out of the car and the engine was at the machine shop.......well, let's just say my Dad had a minor nuclear meltdown. I distinctly remember him saying..."you took a perfectly good motor out of a car that you need to get to work? What the hell are you doing?!?" He then reminded me that his name was on the title of "my car". Needless to say the next day, my parents cut their vacation short and returned home. After another few minutes of "enlightening" me on my place in the world, my Dad got a beer, cracked it open and said..."well let's put this piece of crap back together". He helped me the rest of the way. It was work I will never forget doing.

Another time after I had replaced the old 7 1/4 with an 8 3/4 rear end, a buddy of mine and I decided to go for a cruise. We got about a half mile from home, left a stop sign, and a u-joint let go. Well after walking home to call a tow truck, my dad ask what happened and where my car was.....I told him a u-joint let go.......well he immediately ripped me a new one for doing a neutral drop and "tearing up that damn car".....I swore that I had not done that but he didn't believe me. "U-Joints don't let just let go"....I was so pissed. To this day he believes I grenaded that thing.

After having my Challenger for about a year, and 7,000 miles, I sent my car to Arrington for some upgrades. The look on his face was priceless when I said they were going to replace the motor. He just shook his head and laughed...."you don't learn do you?"

Love you Dad......

Mopar408
2009 Challenger SRT8 6Spd - Arrington 392 / 2.9 Whipple
2016 Charger SRT - Stock Daily Driver
1971 Plymouth Scamp - 435HP/402CI & a 5spd

[Image: 11SecondClub_zps4311b1c5.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2015, 01:18 AM
RE: What Dad thought......
Ha, that's awesome. I learned electronics, morse code and got my amateur radio license. 30 years later got my hands dirty under the hood. Way more fun.

John

2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #392 (of all numbers!)

2011 Challenger IE 392 #787 (Sold)

2009 Charger R/T 11.796 @ 113.15
01-07-2015, 07:21 AM
What Dad thought......
Love that story! PRICELESS! Thanks for sharing Rob.

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
01-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Nice read, makes me miss my folks please give your Dad a smile for we who can not! Big Grin
01-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Very cool story!

"How fast can you shift in heels.Wink"
"The first thing you check is the loose nut behind the wheel"
185.3 mph at the 10/14 Texas Mile
11.2 sec @129 mph
01-07-2015, 04:00 PM
And here I thought this was going to be a response from your dad on the corvette offer Laugh
01-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Very Kewl story Rob, Thanks for sharing. LMAO

Funny you mention the Arrington story, I got almost the same response from my Dad when I mentioned having the blower installed on mine. His comment, "Why are you having to work on a brand new car" ? " Thought You had grown out of all that ". LMAO

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!
01-07-2015, 07:06 PM
What Dad thought......
That must be the universal Dad response. My dad still scratches his head at my car, but he always wants a ride! Laugh

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
01-07-2015, 07:12 PM
(01-07-2015 07:06 PM)rdrdr90 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.That must be the universal Dad response. My dad still scratches his head at my car, but he always wants a ride! Laugh

Well when I mentioned running the Tx Mile and how fast we were running, I got the have you lost your dam mind look from my Mom & Dad. LMAO
But my Mom wants to come to the Tx Mile the next time I get to run and watch, she was disappointed when I told her I wasn't running last October.

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!
01-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Hell my wife and kids think I am nuts... But, that started when I was in my twenties. They figured I would "grow out of it" as I got older. Nope just different toys.. Motorcycles, 100 mph snowmobile and fast cars. The need for speed never goes away.

2010 Stone White R/T
[Image: 2010challenger22b.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user