Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Death of a Slant 6
09-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Death of a Slant 6
Since the thought of me breaking a slant6 seemed to make a few of you chuckle, I thought I would share the story.....

In high school I was fortunate enough to have been bequeathed a 1971 Slant 6 powered Plymouth Scamp. It was Sassyfrass Green with a white vinyl top and white vinyl interior. It served as my first car and got me into the car hobby as well as my love for Mopars. As I'm sure you all do as well, I have a ton of car stories related to this, my first car. Let's focus on the death of the slant 6.

I knew the slant 6 was a tough motor and had read up on the mighty hyperpak powered Valiants of the early sixties that took 1-2-3 at the Daytona compact races. I came across an article in Mopar Action of a 1967 Slant Six Barracuda that was running 13s with its slant 6. It was a bad ass little car. I thought it would be neat to build up my slant six to see what kind of power it could make. Plus it would be a really neat conversation piece. Well, one weekend at a local swap meet, I came across an offenhauser aluminum 4 barrel intake manifold, and with that first purchase my quest to make my dream a reality had begun.

I slowly gathered parts: a holly 600 carb, a purple shaft cam & springs, TRW forged Pistons, double roller timing chain....all the good stuff necessary to make more power from the 225. And then the piece d'resistance: I picked up another head, had it decked .090", had a friend show me how to perform a 3 angle valve job, and ported and polished it. It was pretty damn impressive. Compression was raised from the latern oil level of 8.5 to nearly 10.5.

Well, I put the motor together and dropped it in my car. I started it up and it sounded awesome. A sweet lope from that purple shaft cam 276 adv duration with a .490" lift. It was awesome except for one thing......I had white smoke pouring out the exhaust.

As you might imagine, I was beside myself. What was wrong??? I knew the head wasn't sealing correctly. I had that head off of the car so many times: switching gaskets, trying to identify the leaks. I researched and double and triple checked my torque specs, but to no avail. I thought, well maybe the new head had developed a crack or had some other kind of problem.....so I swap on my stock head. No dice. Still smoked like a mosquito fogger. I was desperate and talked to a buddy of mine who had gotten a detailing job at the local Dodge dealership. Was there anyone there that could help this dumb kid?? Well they only had one guy left with any real 60s/70s vintage experience. He is willing to chat and I walk him through everything I have done. He's asks me if I have torqued the head correctly. Yes, I say, I have it torqued to 65 ft lbs like my book had said. Well he started laughing at me and says "son they need to be at least 85." Well, I went home and torqued the stock head down and bam all is good with the world. I burned the Chilton manual that had the wrong spec. I told myself that I would run the car this way for a couple weeks, and then put the performance head back on.

Well, days turn to weeks, and I still have the stock head on the car. And then it happened. I'm out on the freeway cruising and some fucker in a winged Honda comes FLYING up on my ass. Well being full of the piss and vinager of youth, and knowing I had more power under the hood, I mat the pedal and away we go. It was awesome.....no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't pass me. I had him. I decided that it was now time to say goodbye and put my foot to the floor. I'm reving at 5,000 rpm. She is still pulling. This is awesome.......then it happens....BANG. Motor starts making some nasty sounds. I pull off to the side. I look around and see a small oil trail. I pop the hood and what do I see? A fist-sized hole in the block. Thank god the starter was there, otherwise the slug was aimed at master cylinder. The side of the starter was marked up where engine parts had hit it. The culprit was that I had the hi-po cam with the stock valve springs from the stock head. It was fine at lower rpm but the valves floated at the high (for a slant 6) rpm...smacked into the piston and disaster ensued.....and that boys and girls is how I destroyed a Slant 6.

Mopar408
2009 Challenger SRT8 6Spd - Arrington 392 / 2.9 Whipple
2016 Charger SRT - Stock Daily Driver
1971 Plymouth Scamp - 435HP/402CI & a 5spd

[Image: 11SecondClub_zps4311b1c5.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2014, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 10:44 AM by rdrdr90.)
Death of a Slant 6
OUTSTANDING story! You are my new hero! Laugh

I was gonna bet you bent one of the 2 foot long push rods on those beasts and that caused your issue. Windowed a Slant 6 block....that is rarified air my friend!

Funny....My Cuda, which resides with my father, has an Offenhauser intake and a purple cam!

EDIT: My dad is also impressed!

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
09-27-2014, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 01:25 PM by BayouTiger.)
RE: Death of a Slant 6
Aw come on, this is ROB we're taking about! Laugh

Apparently he's been a legend in the making, long before we knew him!!!
09-27-2014, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 01:36 PM by Not Sure.)
[Image: HappyBigLebowski-1.gif]

I knew you where the Man!!!!!!!!!!! Now its in the record books WTB ROB!
(09-27-2014 08:38 AM)Mopar408 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Since the thought of me breaking a slant6 seemed to make a few of you chuckle, I thought I would share the story.....

In high school I was fortunate enough to have been bequeathed a 1971 Slant 6 powered Plymouth Scamp. It was Sassyfrass Green with a white vinyl top and white vinyl interior. It served as my first car and got me into the car hobby as well as my love for Mopars. As I'm sure you all do as well, I have a ton of car stories related to this, my first car. Let's focus on the death of the slant 6.

I knew the slant 6 was a tough motor and had read up on the mighty hyperpak powered Valiants of the early sixties that took 1-2-3 at the Daytona compact races. I came across an article in Mopar Action of a 1967 Slant Six Barracuda that was running 13s with its slant 6. It was a bad ass little car. I thought it would be neat to build up my slant six to see what kind of power it could make. Plus it would be a really neat conversation piece. Well, one weekend at a local swap meet, I came across an offenhauser aluminum 4 barrel intake manifold, and with that first purchase my quest to make my dream a reality had begun.

I slowly gathered parts: a holly 600 carb, a purple shaft cam & springs, TRW forged Pistons, double roller timing chain....all the good stuff necessary to make more power from the 225. And then the piece d'resistance: I picked up another head, had it decked .090", had a friend show me how to perform a 3 angle valve job, and ported and polished it. It was pretty damn impressive. Compression was raised from the latern oil level of 8.5 to nearly 10.5.

Well, I put the motor together and dropped it in my car. I started it up and it sounded awesome. A sweet lope from that purple shaft cam 276 adv duration with a .490" lift. It was awesome except for one thing......I had white smoke pouring out the exhaust.

As you might imagine, I was beside myself. What was wrong??? I knew the head wasn't sealing correctly. I had that head off of the car so many times: switching gaskets, trying to identify the leaks. I researched and double and triple checked my torque specs, but to no avail. I thought, well maybe the new head had developed a crack or had some other kind of problem.....so I swap on my stock head. No dice. Still smoked like a mosquito fogger. I was desperate and talked to a buddy of mine who had gotten a detailing job at the local Dodge dealership. Was there anyone there that could help this dumb kid?? Well they only had one guy left with any real 60s/70s vintage experience. He is willing to chat and I walk him through everything I have done. He's asks me if I have torqued the head correctly. Yes, I say, I have it torqued to 65 ft lbs like my book had said. Well he started laughing at me and says "son they need to be at least 85." Well, I went home and torqued the stock head down and bam all is good with the world. I burned the Chilton manual that had the wrong spec. I told myself that I would run the car this way for a couple weeks, and then put the performance head back on.

Well, days turn to weeks, and I still have the stock head on the car. And then it happened. I'm out on the freeway cruising and some fucker in a winged Honda comes FLYING up on my ass. Well being full of the piss and vinager of youth, and knowing I had more power under the hood, I mat the pedal and away we go. It was awesome.....no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't pass me. I had him. I decided that it was now time to say goodbye and put my foot to the floor. I'm reving at 5,000 rpm. She is still pulling. This is awesome.......then it happens....BANG. Motor starts making some nasty sounds. I pull off to the side. I look around and see a small oil trail. I pop the hood and what do I see? A fist-sized hole in the block. Thank god the starter was there, otherwise the slug was aimed at master cylinder. The side of the starter was marked up where engine parts had hit it. The culprit was that I had the hi-po cam with the stock valve springs from the stock head. It was fine at lower rpm but the valves floated at the high (for a slant 6) rpm...smacked into the piston and disaster ensued.....and that boys and girls is how I destroyed a Slant 6.

[Image: HappyBigLebowski-1.gif]

I knew you where the Man!!!!!!!!!!! Now its in the record books WTB ROB!
(09-27-2014 08:38 AM)Mopar408 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Since the thought of me breaking a slant6 seemed to make a few of you chuckle, I thought I would share the story.....

TRUE DAT!!!
Smile

(09-27-2014 01:24 PM)BayouTiger Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Aw come on, this is ROB we're taking about! Laugh

Apparently he's been a legend in the making, long before we knew him!!!

WTF double post my bad,,Laugh

When I die,I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car!!
[Image: lol44.gif]
09-27-2014, 02:08 PM
far out

[Image: 8bda927c-e892-4ab2-b4c7-7810a0943c0c_zps5b28f8d1.jpg]
09-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Great story Rob.

When I worked at my uncles junk yard we had a dart with a 225. Stuck a brick on the accelerator. Rev'ed for 5 minutes. Could not grenade the motor. 2nd story. Buddy of mine worked at a dealer. Was doing an oil change on a 225 and drained oil out and went to lunch. Comes back from lunch and car is gone. Owner needed it back and porter gave it him him with no oil. Guy drove it home like 5 miles. Dealer called him and said don't drive car we are coming to pick it up with a hauler. Bring car back fill it with oil and all is good.
Remind me not to let you drive my car Laugh

[Image: motor%20cf6%201%20sig1_zps2hec8qzv.jpg]

Craig

Bookends FTW
1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack
2009 Challenger SRT8 393 forged stroker with KB 2.8L SC
2015 Charger Hellcat
09-27-2014, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 03:36 PM by rdrdr90.)
Had 2 of them in our family when I was growing up, 2 225's. We had a 66 Valiant (2 door) 3 on the tree that I always wished we would have kept. Would have loved to Hyperpack'd it. I remember going to Sears and buying seatbelts for the back seat of that car. The other was in a 1980 Dodge Ram Miser Pickup.

When I worked at an Amusement park in High School, the tugs for our trams were all 225's....those things ran 18 hrs a day every day.

Good thing Rob never worked there. LMAO

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

Garage:
09-27-2014, 08:02 PM
LMAO....I'll have you know that without the above incident it was a great motor. I ended up getting a stock junkyard motor and dropped that in and ran it until I parted the car in 1997 without ever having a problem.

Mopar408
2009 Challenger SRT8 6Spd - Arrington 392 / 2.9 Whipple
2016 Charger SRT - Stock Daily Driver
1971 Plymouth Scamp - 435HP/402CI & a 5spd

[Image: 11SecondClub_zps4311b1c5.gif]
09-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Death of a Slant 6
[Image: d4762081704f8a9e1c4f411c62230310.jpg]

They call me Pinque

Garage:
09-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Death of a Slant 6
Now this I would do! Talk about a Buzzin' Half-Dozen!!

[Image: a2e3827be6a55cdf2e0064ad5743d0bb.jpg]

They call me Pinque

Garage: