Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New VVT Tuning Capabilities at OST Dyno
04-21-2014, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 06:01 PM by rdrdr90.)
As I mentioned in another thread, I am testing a new VVT tune for Mike@ OST. Testing in the sense that he has not tried it on a 392 cam in a 5.7, but he has played with the VVT tables on larger aftermarket cams in a 5.7. He has documentable power increases that he will post up later.

The problem for us (MOPAR) has been that there are SO MANY TABLES and trying to sort out what is what and what is possible is a real PIA. The GM guys have been kicking ass with their VVT stuff for a few years now, and like Mike said, the Honda guys have been doing it since the 80's.

I have just done some idle logs and cruise logs for Mike, I haven't romped on it yet, but one thing I can say is that the driveability factor has gone WAY up. The car is soooo smooth now. No idea on any power gains, but the car drives so much better now.

The car dyno'd 513/500 on 8lbs with the old tune, as soon as I get my drivetrain noise sorted out, I'll get the car on the dyno and see what it it does with this tune.

As of right now, I'm pretty happy with the way the car drives.

THANK YOU MIKE!! Cool

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2014, 06:14 PM
RE: New VVT Tuning Capabilities at OST Dyno
Good to hear! Is this with the new SCT stuff?

2009 Challenger R/T
PB-12.093@111.30
04-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Not on my end. Still using a Trinity

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

Garage:
04-22-2014, 06:22 AM
sounds promising bud!

10.78@129 in a six speed......
04-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Long Read warning!!!

Well it's been a little over two years since I did my first aftermarket Gen III Hemi VVT tune. After working for many years with variable cam technology on the imports and achieving huge power gains, I Initially had very high hopes for this tech on the Gen III Hemi's. After tuning about a dozen of these cars that had made the rounds through other shops and spending countless hours on the dyno, other than WOT cam manipulation I found the tech to be less than desirable, at least from a tuning perspective. Driveability with the large CI, high compression engines running the Comp 274 w/limiters was a bear to tune and I never really was satisfied. In the grand scheme of things, as a tuner I really strive for driveability and I just couldn't nail down that portion of the tune on every car. Some were close and most of the customers were satisfied but it just wasn't right.

Fast forward a year or so and the 392 cam swaps started showing up. I was able to pick up some more knowledge and make these cams drivable with relatively no issues. But they still weren't where I thought they should be performance or driveability wise.

They say necessity is the mother of invention and as destiny would have it we ended up with a problematic VVT cam swap in the shop. Without going into all the details we discovered that the cam needed a limiter. This cam had been used in other cars with valve reliefs without issue but in a stock 5.7 - well I guess not. In any event, we tried to locate a Comp limiter/lock kit but no dice. Nothing at Summit, Jegs or even Comp for at least two weeks. So we needed another solution. Fortunately with the car running on the dyno and careful monitoring of the cam position I began spending hours identifying and testing the various tables that manipulate the cam as well as the ignition timing tables that were also impacted/utilized. I was pleasantly surprised how I was eventually able to manipulate the cam position at any RPM, engine temp or boost level.

The results of this tuneup were very impressive to me and ultimately I used this new found knowledge and applied it to a previously tuned 392 cam swap. That customer (Sean) called the next day and stated that his supercharged RT that he drove daily had never run so well.

Please don't take this as me stating I have a vast understanding of Gen III Hemi VVT tuning - because I don't! What I want to put out here is the fact that there is alot that can be done that I wasn't aware of and now I believe there is an opportunity to really take advantage of this tech.

I do want to state that as with anything truly complicated, the more your learn the less you realize you know and that applies here! The calid's and tables for various models tend to be very different and each one will have to be studied and tested to see what tables actually apply to tuning and which ones are bogus.

I wanted to give a shout out to all those that let me bounce ideas, questions and concerns with this particular situation off of: Erik Storms, Josh Schwartz, Joel Applegate, Andy "I'll ship it on Friday" Underwood and Micah Doban. Each of you took time out of your day to answer questions and speculate on what may or may not happen with the tuning changes I had planned. Thanks!!!!

Ok... so here is the result of the tuneup on Stevo's car with a cam and springs swap. I worked hard to keep the timing identical to his tune that the car showed up here with so we were comparing apples to apples. In my book this was a very mild tune and I even richened up the fueling quite a bit to try to make his #4 piston live as long as possible. Ultimately the power gains could have been much larger.

I could make the torque curve vary at will by simply moving the cam and ended up with what you see here. She is pulling like a freight train out the back. Also, keep in mind I stopped at 100rpm less than his baseline pull (again to keep the #4 piston alive) but with the direction of the curve 100rpm more would have been some more ponies for sure.:

[Image: HobbsStockvsPWRVVTCam_zps762b83e1.jpg]
04-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Great write up Mike! I'm looking forward to seeing what the car will do once I figure out what is wrong in my drivetrain.

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

They call me Pinque

Garage:
04-24-2014, 10:39 AM
great work by OSTMIKE as usual.....

Mopar408
2009 Challenger SRT8 6Spd - Arrington 392 / 2.9 Whipple
2016 Charger SRT - Stock Daily Driver
1971 Plymouth Scamp - 435HP/402CI & a 5spd

[Image: 11SecondClub_zps4311b1c5.gif]
04-24-2014, 06:01 PM
What particular cam is Steveo running in his current build? Ah have been going back and forth between the 6.4 cam or one with a bit of thump, however it always seemed none of them (aftermarket) pulled better than stock until around 4k and up. Once yours truly has decided which direction to take, it would be good to have the tuning available.

2013 Chrysler 200 retractable hard top-3.6 VVT
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab - 5.7 Hemi - 3:92 open diff.
2009 Challenger R/T auto J package
12.235@110.32 1.727 60' DA 879 ft.
Completely stock Big Grin

[Image: Jackslaunch2_zps2eeb3141.png]
04-24-2014, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 07:32 PM by H_R.)
Custom grind that pwr had made.
219/227 583/583 116+2 are the specs