Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
My E-Body Saga
12-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Brick RE: My E-Body Saga
[img][Image: likenewk-member_zps8713c545.jpg]
[/img]

Meanwhile, while waiting on the machine shop, I completely stripped down my front end. This is the K-member after cleaning, primer and paint. I would love to go with an Alter-K-tion or the rack-and-pinion conversion with all tubular steel K-member, control arms and such, but it's simply not in the budget (until my book becomes a bestseller of course. Wink Ahem.)

[img][Image: output_lnZEFR_zps1d2f6c6e.gif]
[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2013, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 11:05 PM by rdrdr90.)
RE: My E-Body Saga
God that looks familiar. You going back with stock torsion bars or upgraded ones?

Oh, I just bought your book on Amazon. Big Grin

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
Find all posts by this user
12-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Man I miss my 340 hipo..love reading this!

When I die,I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car!!
[Image: lol44.gif]
12-16-2013, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 09:46 AM by Road Ronin.)
(12-15-2013 10:53 PM)rdrdr90 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.God that looks familiar. You going back with stock torsion bars or upgraded ones?

Oh, I just bought your book on Amazon. Big Grin

U da man, Pinque! Thanks.

For the forseeable future, I'm keeping the torsion bars. For now the stock ones, but I plan to get some huge bars from PST or somebody.

BTW I rebuilt the front end with polygraphite bushings, and Edelbrock IAS shocks.

When it first rolls out of the garage, it will be replete with compromises I didn't want to make, but some of them I will attend to immediately as soon as it moves under its own power--like putting IAS shocks in back, as well, poly leaf spring bushings, the torsion bar upgrade and beefier sway bars front and rear. Eventually I'd like a 3-Link in back, but that might be a while...

Also, my interior will likely remain raggedy for quite some time, as it's not a priority for me.

I'll post more pix soon. Cool

[/img]
12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Okay, so while all that was going on, I decided to make my engine bay purty. I borrowed a pressure washer and used that, applied good ol' elbow grease to what was left, and primered it (that summary makes it sound a LOT simpler than it was).

First, I feel obligated to explain my color choice.

When I got the block back from the machine shop, I wanted to paint it purple. (My concept for the body paint is black and Plum Crazy.) Purple engine bay--I've read thousands of articles in car magazines and haven't seen many of those.

Could not find any purple engine enamel or even purple high-temp paint. My choices were the typical blue, red, orange...the only colors that appealed to me out of the available selection were black and yellow. So I got yellow engine enamel.

The heads are still yellow, but it was an ugly shade of yellow, so I painted the block black, as you can see in that earlier photo of the short block.

Anyway, after buying the yellow engine paint I went to Sherwin-Williams and picked up some special anti-rust yellow paint. Trouble was, it just wouldn't apply evenly. So I found some that did apply evenly...but it was a pale shade of yellow I don't care much for.

[img][Image: purtybay_zpsbaf84145.jpg]
[/img]

It looks better in this photo I took without a flash, because it's not so pale.

[img][Image: enginebayfinished_zpsf8be7aa2.jpg]
[/img]

This one gives you a better idea of the shade of yellow. Not that great, but I was still proud of how smooth everything looked afterwards, considering I was working out of rattle cans.

Why did I paint the hood hinges, brake booster, etc., chrome? I'm not a fan of crome, usually, except on the air cleaner. Even there I'd probably prefer brushed aluminum. But I had my headers jet-coated, and they came back chromed. So I figured maybe a few other accents under the hood matching the headers might be okay.

BTW, re-installing a brake booster by yourself is really tricky. And everything I'm showing y'all here was done solo by yours truly--including removal and rebuilding of the front end--which you can see in this photo is painted and back together.

Oh, but guess what the parts store began to stock AFTER I had finished the engine bay, dropped the engine back in, etc.?

Purple engine enamel. BangHead1

But I'm not tearing it all back apart now. No way. If any of you get to know me and decide to make me "the mark" on Overhaulin' you know what to tell Chip Foose about my color preference, right?

[/img]
12-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Nice! We went black on our bay....came out better than I thought it would.

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

Garage:
12-20-2013, 06:31 PM
So here's the long block. I thought it looked especially clean with the new lifter valley baffle so I snapped this photo with the intake off. And I left the valve covers out to show off my roller rockers.

[img][Image: 340prepped_zpsb4e8e30d.jpg]
[/img]

But this is where I broke my own rule and snatched up a "really good deal" on E-Bay for aluminum roller rockers. I found out they were Chicom knock-offs the hard way when the adjustment studs snapped while LOOSENING the jam nuts. I wasted a few hundred hard-earned bucks settling for "cheap" parts.

Since then I saved up and bought a set from Indy Cylinder Head. Sigh.

BTW, those are the stock heads. I have a set of J-heads (2.02 intake valves) that I hope to get ready for this engine when budget permits.

[/img]
12-23-2013, 05:16 PM
[img][Image: rebuiltfrontend_zps894e2a46.jpg]
[/img]

Here's my front end back together and my steering chuck painted (more or less) to match the rest of the engine bay.

And down below is the built 340 ready to go in.

[img][Image: rearbellhousing_zps515946cb.jpg]
[/img]

Yes, that is a steel bell housing (and a huge Lakewood steel flywheel inside). In other words, it will no longer be an automatic, but a row-your-own. I wish I had the money to do a Passon or TKO swap, but this is all poor man's old school. I've got an A833 4-speed in there now. Should be lots of fun on Track Day...some day.

Heart

[/img]
12-23-2013, 05:31 PM
NICE!

They call me Pinque

Garage:
12-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Very nice. I kind of like the yellow engine. Will be interesting to see it in the engine bay all done up. Keep pics coming.

[Image: motor%20cf6%201%20sig1_zps2hec8qzv.jpg]

Craig

Bookends FTW
1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack
2009 Challenger SRT8 393 forged stroker with KB 2.8L SC
2015 Charger Hellcat