Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
My E-Body Saga
12-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Photo My E-Body Saga
[img][Image: maybeline_zps73099813.jpg]
[/img]

I'm gonna see how this works with the pictures and all before I write my whole life story here. Anyway, this is my baby in what more-or-less is her present state, exterior-wise. Much has happened between the sheet metal since this photo was taken, and I plan to share.

I bought her when I was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. I originally took her apart because I thought there was something wrong with the transmission (it would throb when in motion). While I was replacing the 727, I decided I might as well rebuild the engine.

Years later I discovered that the throb I experienced is caused by a worn out tranny mount. There was probably nothing wrong with the original tranny.

So anyway, a fellow gearhead in my company ordered parts for me (he could get them at jobber prices), and though that included 11.5:1 pistons, he only got stock head gaskets.

Well, I put the motor together and got it back in the car. It ran strong--MAN it was a monster. But the Holley carb started leaking in a wierd place I couldn't fix. I took it to a guy who had done a decent job with the Carter on my Coronet, and he said he could fix it. I called to check on it once and he kept complaining about how bad it was smoking. Smoking? It wasn't smoking when I brought it there. I had broken it in months before. He scared me by speculating that the block was cracked or something. Long story short, when I picked it up, it had a blown head gasket. It has not run again since then.

I've had too many misadventures to list here since then, and rebuilt it twice more. Twice because the bearings I got from some "expert" engine builder were some funky brand I'd never heard of, and after it was together that kept bothering me. SO I asked other gearheads I knew and showed them the box those bearings came in. My suspicions were validated--the bearings were junk. I started taking it back apart with the "help" of somebody who wanted to learn engines and a crank journal got scratched, blah blah blah.

I've made a lot of stupid mistakes over the years and taken some stupid risks--so many it would probably bore and depress you. Although I came from a family of gearheads, none of them were around when the bug bit me, and I had to learn everything on my own; usually the hard way. Every time I do, getting this machine together gets delayed. Anyway, the other pictures I'll show are from the latest build.

BangHead1

[img][Image: output_lnZEFR_zps1d2f6c6e.gif]
[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2013, 02:49 PM
RE: My E-Body Saga
Well you belong here buddy !!!!

When I die,I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car!!
[Image: lol44.gif]
Find all posts by this user
12-13-2013, 02:56 PM
On this latest build, I decided I was gonna do the very best I could and not be a cheapskate/cut corners if I could help it. I violated my own rule later which could have turned disastrous, but I'll share that one later.

Anyway, I sprung for a set of H-beam rods to go with my forged pistons. I had picked up a couple forged cranks over the years and used one of them (the original in '73 was cast shot-peened). I paid Ohio George to balance the rotating assembly. Didn't check the crank closely enough when I got it back and discovered the old scratch was still on the journal when I began assembly. Took it back to him and he accused me of scratching it after the balancing job. Sigh.

[Image: 340pistonandrod_zps2744a002.jpg]

Below is the short block, sans pistons. Yes, I went with a gear drive. I never want to worry about the timing chain jumping teeth. I hope I can live with the noise.

[img][Image: 340shortblock_zps8588e143.jpg]
[/img]

[/img]
12-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Nice! I dumped my Holley on my Barracuda for the same reason. Fucker was a sieve. Went with an Edelbrock, easy to tune and is a one piece unit. No weird gaskets that can leak.

Gonna enjoy watching this progress.

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
12-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Nice story. I had gear drive on my 340 for a little while but I took it off. Noise did not bother me (actually it sounds pretty cool, like you have a Vortech Cenrti SC). I think I still have it actual somewhere in my stock of old Mopar parts. I think it was made by Mildon.

I think you will like it

[Image: motor%20cf6%201%20sig1_zps2hec8qzv.jpg]

Craig

Bookends FTW
1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack
2009 Challenger SRT8 393 forged stroker with KB 2.8L SC
2015 Charger Hellcat
12-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Did you have to do anything special to get oil to it?

[/img]
12-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Now you are testing my memory skills. Was like 20 years ago. But I do not recall that I did anything special for oil transfer. But I kind of remember having to drill a hole and maybe tapping to mount gear drive intermediate gears I think. Sorry

[Image: motor%20cf6%201%20sig1_zps2hec8qzv.jpg]

Craig

Bookends FTW
1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack
2009 Challenger SRT8 393 forged stroker with KB 2.8L SC
2015 Charger Hellcat
12-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Nice! So this is a stock stroke 340 ?

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!
12-14-2013, 11:49 AM
(12-14-2013 08:09 AM)daparrothead Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Nice! So this is a stock stroke 340 ?

It is. I like strokers, but I happen to think they found the magic stroke-to-rod length ratio with the 273-318-340, and preferred not to change it for my own application.

[/img]
12-15-2013, 11:46 AM
I hear ya, the 340's were some stout lil motors.

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!