Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
custom 6.1 hemi SRT prowler!
11-30-2013, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2013 11:13 AM by Colonel Angus.)
RE: custom 6.1 hemi SRT prowler!
Ah think it should be OK as long as the power is applied once the shift has occured and the clutches are fully engaged. It's the shift when the most wear/damage occurs. Great job with the transformation suh, you are truly a craftsman!

2013 Chrysler 200 retractable hard top-3.6 VVT
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab - 5.7 Hemi - 3:92 open diff.
2009 Challenger R/T auto J package
12.235@110.32 1.727 60' DA 879 ft.
Completely stock Big Grin

[Image: Jackslaunch2_zps2eeb3141.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2013, 10:17 PM
The shaker is kewl, looks like it came from the factory on it. But it would look even kewler with a polished KB 3.6 stickin thru the hood. Smile

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!
12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Nah, needs a bug catcher. Laugh

Very cool setup though. Obviously a lot of ingenuity went into it. I did not realize the Prowler was a rear transaxle setup.

I like it!
12-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys
Made a new ride along video this weekend
Check it out!

Check out this video on YouTube:

Please Register or Login to view links.

Daily updates 100's of Picts, mopar Hemi swaps and more at
12-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Very nice!

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
12-02-2013, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 07:51 PM by SRT5939.)
(11-30-2013 07:22 AM)hemiprowler Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Now that's a good catch. The rear transaxle is the build pinch point. Not a ton of options based on the rear layout vs bolt on.

If you are very interested you can read my write up on the Trans below.

I'll keep it simple we have beefed up the rear with hardened internals, shift kits, extra clutches etc but it's still a pinch point. No more slamming on the gas to the floor have to ease into it and drive it smart. Also put it in manual mods when driving hard. I also keep a spare built Trans just in case.
This photo may help, most v8s with bolt on Trans takes the tq. Only a Vette has a similar layout but the mods to make it work not proven.

It works well I have 2700 miles this year to prove it. Just have to drive smart.
[Image: FE7451D9-F8BF-48C9-BCF0-AE6378326F6D_zpsjvyv7but.jpg]
What is that and how does that work?

It's pretty much a waste of money if you can't use the 6.1's power. Great job and great idea but useless power is still useless. I didn't see one burn out, where's the fun in it?
Get yourself a nice 9" rear conversion and put a real Trans in the car, then you will have something.
Right now it's probably slower than a 6 speed Challenger.

9.03@152
12-02-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 09:56 PM by hemiprowler.)
(12-02-2013 07:46 PM)SRT5939 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.It's pretty much a waste of money if you can't use the 6.1's power. Great job and great idea but useless power is still useless. I didn't see one burn out, where's the fun in it?
Get yourself a nice 9" rear conversion and put a real Trans in the car, then you will have something.
Right now it's probably slower than a 6 speed Challenger.

SRT5939 my car is far from slow. We didn't build it to be a track king but more of one of the coolest and quickest modern hotrod street cruisers on the street. This is one of the best hemi prowlers ever built. Researched over 2 years and you will struggle to find anyone that did it better and actually drives it. its a one off custom car, with that you have to drive it smart its nots all about top speed but I have not problem pushing it!

2 more initial benchmark videos.

This is me in the 3.5 V6 prowler with performance gears vs 2 different v-8 6.1 hemi srt-8 Cars. In both cases with the prowlers low weight and aluminum build makes the car 1400 lbs lighter than its peers. Off the line the and short distance prowler can keep up with most cars. You will see in every case I'm great off the line as a V6.

Imagine the same 6.1 srt-8 motor in the
Prowler. The goal is to equalize the delivery across the power band while still being able to enjoy everyday driving since this motor really is a stock high performance engine used in many daily drivers in the line up. The prowler is light. Im only like 2900 lbs with the hemi with 430hp before i had less than 252hp.

The place where the prowler died as in the mid range. With a Hemi not and issue any more

Prowler vs Srt 1/8 mile racing Videos at homestead speedway in miami

Prowler Vs SRT challenger Please Register or Login to view links.

Prowler vs 300 SRT
12-02-2013, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 06:20 AM by hemiprowler.)
Today I'm sitting on a 2900 lb car with a rear transaxle. The thing with the normal hemi car that make its stronger is the bolt on tranny takes a lot of the shock. Now with the hemi kat what I'm saying is you ease into it more not slamming it to the floor.
You don't need to the car is so much lighter than a SRT challenger or charger it is designed floor and you will spin out. Also your transferring power through a drive train to the rear that makes a big difference.

The car is also a 4 speed. vs a 5 speed so when driving agressively i do it in manual to get the best shift points.
Its is far from slow!!
here is a few of my drive by i have no problem

Now I have not been back to the drag strip and not sure if I have anything to prove as its the tq you have to watch. I have not problems in 1-3 gear. Its 4th gear that works like an overdrive that the thinnest on clutches with the prowler trans. So with that I'm aggressive to the point and take it to 4th manually easing into it!

Now you mentioned a custom rear. Its has never been successfully done yet on a prowler . Not sure if you have ever seen a prowler rear but not much there at all or space to play with. If you can figure out something that you can make work in this tight space and not cost over 40K I'm all ears!

[Image: 2EA124FF-C415-4BDC-9E20-7C3D776B01D2-925...8CBF93.jpg]

[Image: 7E694282-5393-4B2B-975F-A53EC0650514-925...6FEC3A.jpg]

[Image: 4A0B26EB-FEE8-4574-AB62-91BCDB0D4B90-494...DAD760.jpg]

Also with the modern cars you have to get all of the computers to talk perfect. The prowler today runs a stand alone computer for the trans. We actually have 3 different computers needed to run the car and I don't have issues. Again custom car!

So my track day wasn't about taking a straight line it was pushing it to the max for a full blown track day at lime rock. I drove it 230 miles to the track from NJ
[Image: image-5_zps6a95ec90.jpeg]

did a complete track day and drove it home.
[Image: image-3_zps78278be3.jpeg]

Had no problem smoking a ton of cars on the straights! This day with an instructor was the better than any day I ever had at the drag strip.
Learned how to drive and the cars limits it did great!
Left a few victims on this lap!
[Image: DSC_3366_zps0d2660ba.jpg]

Everyone knows top speed is not everything on the track its the turns.
[Image: DSC_3692_zps382b5fc3.jpg]

The car handled well I was not there to set course records but to be a better driver and prove to all and myself that a custom one off car can work and be successful!
Mission accomplished.

Now I enjoy the cruise! Take home trophies and just have fun with it!
Almost 3000 miles of smiles! After waiting over 16 months and 12 years of ownership its all worth while!

Just one guys story! Im very happy!
Updates daily at
12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
sweet trey...have you looked at Porsche trans axles? I think Factory Five was using them on their super car GTM builds....just a thought. no idea if it might work.

Mopar408
2009 Challenger SRT8 6Spd - Arrington 392 / 2.9 Whipple "FOR SALE"
2016 Charger SRT - Stock Daily Driver
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat - Fun Car
1971 Plymouth Scamp - 435HP/402CI & a 5spd
12-03-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 06:09 AM by hemiprowler.)
Great feedback. It's all time and money.
After so much work, wait and cost we are going to enjoy it for a while. Everything works and I'm not having problems. I have a spare beefed up Trans on the shelf if I need it. With the hardened internals and upgrades it's never really more then some burned clutches if it goes, but been good so far. Maybe one day we can look a another rear. Did check out Porsche and Vette. People have tried them before way to costly and still have to get all of the computers to talk.
With Everything going mopar to mopar we are not having problems which is a good thing.

There is as much tricks on electronics as just the build its self. Again 3 computers.
Manual Hemi, prowler and Trans computer.

here is a close up walk through video from Ne rod and custom nationals
Check out this video on YouTube: