Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
For the Tigers.....
11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
For the Tigers.....
Please Register or Login to view links.

At this year’s Silver State Classic Challenge, we had the worst crop of Mopars ever; I was required to count a Fiat Abarth to get three (with a Viper and SRT8 Charger). I chatted with the Abarth driver, who had run the car at Willow Springs the day before. He liked it.

When the cars took the track the Fiat was behind a C5 Corvette; the Fiat was nagging the Corvette’s rear bumper. When the Corvette hit a straightaway, it accelerated away, but two turns later guess who was back. This whetted my appetite to drive one.

500L side view

At the recent Airpark Jeep Jamboree in Scottsdale, I mentioned my desire to drive an Abarth 500 to general manager Coye Pointer. He introduced me to David Ragonese, the Fiat manager; I was allowed to take the car alone, and David said, “Stay gone as long as you want.”

abarth logoThe Fiat ads made for the US market have used a healthy dose of sex. To deny the correlation of the automobile and sex is somewhat akin to being an ostrich. I am the birth sign of Scorpio and I especially like the pesky Scorpion stealing the girls top in the ad for Abarth (the girl didn’t appear to mind it either).

When I first got into the car I had trouble with hitting the accelerator while my foot was on the brake; the positions were good for heel/toe downshifting but not for initiating movement. My mind and body adjusted to the pedal placement before I was out of the parking lot. It took a little longer to adjust to the extreme ease of actuating these functions. One could even call them touchy, but once again when you knew what the reaction would be you no longer sent your face into the windshield.

I was smiling before I got onto the main boulevard. The car has a guttural growl that starts low in the intestines. My thoughts were, “Oh yeah, there is a big dog around here somewhere.”

boost gauge

I have never driven to enhance gas mileage and I am too old to start now. I assume in an effort to increase gas mileage, the car kept flashing a light telling me to up-shift. I didn’t want to up-shift, I wanted to continue feeling this car grab the pavement.

I noticed a light on the dash that advised “average speed for this trip 11 mph.” I can’t take this car back showing that, so I stayed out until I got that number to 12. (The truth was, I couldn’t find my way back across the airport.)

I have heard Ralph Gilles say, “Torque removes the perception of weight.” Therefore removing weight must be perceived as torque. The little car seems to have ample torque even at a low rpm. The handling was very crisp; the car went exactly where I intended it to go.

This car is nothing like the base model. It is a blast to drive. Ya gotta love the Scorpion.

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2013, 11:42 PM
RE: For the Tigers.....
We both love driving ours, though it doesn't get driven much since big brother has been better behaved in the last several months!

Moments before overtaking a Boss302!!! Smile
[Image: 16a678b8acd661f0871b133677a17c6e.jpg]

Yankin! and bankin! Yes the little car is an absolute kick in the ass on the big track!
[Image: 5d2b2e05bf058626210fb1c99fae6a48.jpg]
11-19-2013, 07:52 AM
The Abarth really is a kick to drive Smile

"How fast can you shift in heels.Wink"
"The first thing you check is the loose nut behind the wheel"
185.3 mph at the 10/14 Texas Mile
11.2 sec @129 mph
11-19-2013, 09:38 AM
I like those, but have always liked cars like the cooper and such. My fat ass just does not fit in them well Laugh
11-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I've not sat in the Abrath, however I have driven a 500 around, and it is surprisingly roomy.

I may have to get one for a DD, I have always likes turbo'd 4 bangers.

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
11-19-2013, 12:34 PM
(11-19-2013 09:46 AM)rdrdr90 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.I've not sat in the Abrath, however I have driven a 500 around, and it is surprisingly roomy.

I may have to get one for a DD, I have always likes turbo'd 4 bangers.

Spend a little more and get the go pedal and piggy back PCM, supposedly adds about 30 hand really wakes them up.

"How fast can you shift in heels.Wink"
"The first thing you check is the loose nut behind the wheel"
185.3 mph at the 10/14 Texas Mile
11.2 sec @129 mph
11-19-2013, 02:24 PM
My XXXL arse fits in the Fiat fine!
11-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Isn't the Cooper like hideously expensive (at least compared to the Abarth)?
11-20-2013, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013 01:00 AM by Not Sure.)
Laugh.........Hey now!!!

However too funny ~

I love Chuck and Lisa's little fiat!!
However this is hilarious to read!

(11-18-2013 09:15 PM)rdrdr90 Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Please Register or Login to view links.

At this year’s Silver State Classic Challenge, we had the worst crop of Mopars ever; I was required to count a Fiat Abarth to get three (with a Viper and SRT8 Charger). I chatted with the Abarth driver, who had run the car at Willow Springs the day before. He liked it.

When the cars took the track the Fiat was behind a C5 Corvette; the Fiat was nagging the Corvette’s rear bumper. When the Corvette hit a straightaway, it accelerated away, but two turns later guess who was back. This whetted my appetite to drive one.

500L side view

At the recent Airpark Jeep Jamboree in Scottsdale, I mentioned my desire to drive an Abarth 500 to general manager Coye Pointer. He introduced me to David Ragonese, the Fiat manager; I was allowed to take the car alone, and David said, “Stay gone as long as you want.”

abarth logoThe Fiat ads made for the US market have used a healthy dose of sex. To deny the correlation of the automobile and sex is somewhat akin to being an ostrich. I am the birth sign of Scorpio and I especially like the pesky Scorpion stealing the girls top in the ad for Abarth (the girl didn’t appear to mind it either).

When I first got into the car I had trouble with hitting the accelerator while my foot was on the brake; the positions were good for heel/toe downshifting but not for initiating movement. My mind and body adjusted to the pedal placement before I was out of the parking lot. It took a little longer to adjust to the extreme ease of actuating these functions. One could even call them touchy, but once again when you knew what the reaction would be you no longer sent your face into the windshield.

I was smiling before I got onto the main boulevard. The car has a guttural growl that starts low in the intestines. My thoughts were, “Oh yeah, there is a big dog around here somewhere.”

boost gauge

I have never driven to enhance gas mileage and I am too old to start now. I assume in an effort to increase gas mileage, the car kept flashing a light telling me to up-shift. I didn’t want to up-shift, I wanted to continue feeling this car grab the pavement.

I noticed a light on the dash that advised “average speed for this trip 11 mph.” I can’t take this car back showing that, so I stayed out until I got that number to 12. (The truth was, I couldn’t find my way back across the airport.)

I have heard Ralph Gilles say, “Torque removes the perception of weight.” Therefore removing weight must be perceived as torque. The little car seems to have ample torque even at a low rpm. The handling was very crisp; the car went exactly where I intended it to go.

This car is nothing like the base model. It is a blast to drive. Ya gotta love the Scorpion.

When I die,I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car!!
[Image: lol44.gif]