Welcome to MoparFan.com! Thanks for stopping by. No matter your Mopar interest, post it up, and talk about it here. Register, start posting, and if you want the real fun stuff, get a Garage Pass. So, kick back, post up, and stay a while.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Checking in.
03-06-2014, 10:44 PM
RE: Checking in.
Look inside the carb and open the butterfly's with the linkage on the side of the carb. You should see a stream of fuel in both carb bores when you open the throttle all the way. If you don't then carb needs a rebuild and accelerator pump is shot. I have to believe the carb is screwed up anyway for sitting for so long. Good luck.

[Image: motor%20cf6%201%20sig1_zps2hec8qzv.jpg]

Craig

Bookends FTW
1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack
2009 Challenger SRT8 393 forged stroker with KB 2.8L SC
2015 Charger Hellcat
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2014, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 10:47 PM by rdrdr90.)
Checking in.
I vote spark issue. Also, on the firewall, there are 3 modules, one is the voltage regulator, one is the ballast resistor, and one is the lean burn module. I would check all 3 for continuity to see if they are still good. They were all susceptible to moisture.

They are on the passenger side, and moving to the right are in the order I posted....if I remember right.

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

[Image: 11SecondClub-5_zpshewte6gp.gif]

Garage:
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1970 Plymouth Barracuda (440, M5)....currently residing in Austin
03-06-2014, 10:51 PM
I forgot about the lean burn system on those cars. If there is a module mounted to the side of the air cleaner they were notorious for failing. Good catch Sean.

[Image: motor%20cf6%201%20sig1_zps2hec8qzv.jpg]

Craig

Bookends FTW
1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack
2009 Challenger SRT8 393 forged stroker with KB 2.8L SC
2015 Charger Hellcat
03-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Checking in.
^^^^yeah, that thing failed a bunch too. Didn't like the heat.

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

They call me Pinque

2010 R/T Challenger 6.4 cam and Maggie @8lbs of boost. Some more stuff, but you get the idea. Installed by Texas House of Hemi. Tuned by the Hemituner!

Garage:
03-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Definitely a process of elimination. As mention above, look down the throat of the carb and pump the throttle and see if it's getting fuel. If not, it could be the mechanical fuel pump considering it has been sitting as long as it has. The fuel pump has a rubber diaphragm in it that may be dried out & cracked. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, put it in a can or something and have someone crank the motor over and make sure the pump is working. If it's getting fuel it's probably an ignition issue, sounds like Sean is leading you the right direction on all of that.

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!
03-07-2014, 09:41 AM
(03-06-2014 10:58 PM)daparrothead Wrote: Please Register or Login to view links.Definitely a process of elimination. As mention above, look down the throat of the carb and pump the throttle and see if it's getting fuel. If not, it could be the mechanical fuel pump considering it has been sitting as long as it has.

I'm pretty sure when I flip open the throttle on the side of the carb it is NOT squirting fuel. I've already replaced the fuel pump and gasket, however when I pulled the old pump I pumped it manually and it was spraying fuel just fine into a jar once pulling the line from the carb. I did pour fuel into the carb last night with no success. I really feel as though I'm missing something obvious here.

In a related/unrelated thought...assuming the carb needs rebuilding etc., any thoughts on switching to a Holley 4bbl? I would like to fully trouble shoot before making any changes and adding too many variables.
03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
So since you are 100% sure now that fuel is getting to the carb, sounds like you definitely have an issue with the carb. As mentioned earlier, the accelerator pump on the carb is more than likely shot because it is rubber and sitting as long as it did that is almost a given.
Have you checked to see if you actually have good spark ? Pull a spark plug and stick the wire back on it with it laying on the valve cover and have someone crank the motor over and see if you are getting a good blue spark. If not it could be a number of things as Sean mentioned earlier, ballast resistor, lean burn module or the ignition module itself.

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!
03-07-2014, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 11:01 AM by MillerTime.)
Wow, thank you for all the great advice guys. I did replace the plugs, but I've yet to pull it and see as I've been working on this by myself. I'll have to get my dad to help as I won't let my pregnant wife get in the car due to the mouse urine and feces that are soaked into everything. We're leaving town for the weekend, but Monday/Tuesday I hope to do some more testing. I'll check the spark next and if that's good I'll assume the carb is the real issue. My initial plans for the car involved a disassembly/cleaning or the Carter 2bbl, however I feel a replacement may be a better option.
03-07-2014, 11:13 AM
If the carb is in as bad of shape as I expect it to be, You may be better off buying a remanufactured carb from twilight zone or Oreilly Auto parts. I can guarantee you the carb is going to need work of some sort after sitting as long as it has with old gas in it.

Team Shake-n-Bake ftw!
03-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Carter was a great OEM carb, but you would be amazed at what a good aftermarket carb will do for that motor. Edelbrock is a personal favorite of mine, but a good Holley (never had much luck personally with them but others have) would be a great upgrade. You will, in all likelihood need a new intake manifold if you go to a 4bbl.

This is the fun part! Seriously, I love tracking down this kind of stuff.

They call me Pinque

Garage: